Tuesday 18 September 2007

Hot news - you can't cure homosexuality! Wait...didn't we already know that?

Found through Denialism blog, Exodus ministries don't work!

It appears that the study was over four years and included 98 people who were referred by various Exodus ministries.

33 people reported change in the desired manner (from gay at time 1 in the heterosexual direction at time 3)
29 reported no change
8 reported change in the undesired direction
3 were unsure how to describe their experience of change
and 25 people discontinued participation in the study during that time.


I think it's reasonable to conclude that if these people hate themselves enough to enter into this program, they must be serious about 'curing' their homosexuality. It's hardly something you do on a whim, especially since they handily discounted the 25 who dropped out before the end of the 4 years from their percentage calculations. So, of the 73 people who cared to stay in that program for 4 years, only 33 reported a change in the desired manner. It should be noted that change in the desired manor includes those who claim to experience a reduce in homosexual desire and an increase in heterosexual desire, and those who chose to subvert all sexual desire and live in chastity (not exactly what I'd call a sucess).

So, even giving them the broadest classification of success we can, even allowing for the fact that these people could well revert. Accepting that these people have felt a genuine change and are not just subverting their feelings in order to be accepted by their churches/families etc, given that these people are highly invested in the program, having spent 4 years in it, only 33% of them actually see any kind of change.

What abysmal results.

And I bet they still claim it's a massive success.


But, really, that's not what first occurred to me when I read this. The first thing was, I'm sick of the debate over my sexuality. Like it's some kind of hot topic. All the evidence suggest homosexuality is biological, at least to some extent. That's not the point. Even if I had woken up one day when I was 16 and decided to be gay (I didn't, just to be clear), the fact that it was a choice and not inherent would not, somehow, invalidate my entire self. In short, even if I could change that wouldn't mean I had to change. I'm happy, I'm homosexual, I'm not going to change that.

No comments: